If you are a parent, then you know children aren’t born grateful. HOWEVER, every day we have opportunities to teach our children gratitude. With November being the month of Thanksgiving, I thought it would be fun to share ideas on how to teach children gratefulness. Let’s begin:
- Every night at dinner, play the “Thankfulness Game,” by asking each child to share one thing or person they are grateful for and why. You can play the “Thankfulness Game” in the car too.
- Make a gratitude jar. Make several multi-colored leaves, cut them out, and place them by a mason jar on the kitchen table or counter. Encourage your child to write something they are grateful for on a leaf and place it in the jar. At the end of the week, read all the leaves as a family.
- One of the best ways to teach your children gratitude is to do community service as a family. Serve meals at the local Salvation Army or get involved in outreaches at your church.
- If your child has the opportunity to go overseas, it will change his/her life. Americans are so blessed, and when children experience life in another country, they begin to understand how blessed they are.
- Thanksgiving provides the perfect opportunity to do crafts that highlight thankfulness. Here’s a tried and true Thanksgiving craft. Have your child trace his/her hand. Make the thumb the turkey’s head and make the other four fingers the feathers. On each feather, have your child write who or what they are thankful for. The palm becomes the turkey’s body. Then have them color the “turkey,” and display in your home.
- Remember, you are the greatest influence in your child’s heart. Model gratitude every day.
We are grateful for you, our Generation Eve family! We would LOVE to hear how you teach your children how to be grateful. Please share in the comments below, and remember to share, like, and subscribe at www.generationeve.com.
Converstations that Matter
Latest posts by Julia Mateer (see all)
- From the Sewers to the Burbs: How to Kick the Enemy Out! - July 28, 2017
- The Ultimate Way To Slow Down The Pace and Reconnect With Your Kids - July 20, 2017
- Read This If You Are A Woman In Need Of A Fresh Start - July 7, 2017